Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pooks' Horse

The Lord of Hosts!
 Sir Samuel Pooks' Regiment of Horse. Pin-swords, bravely aloft.
All are standard Hinchcliffe castings, which range is fortuitiously being recast at this time. Good show, Mr Hinds. The only changes I made were to replace the cast swords with beheaded pins and a little animation of the castings with a pair of pliers whose jaws I padded up beforehand so as not to mark the castings.

For the most part I painted these with acrylic washes over the best white undercoat I could get onto the figures. A little lining in was done, just to tidy the shapes up. The metals were 1:1 black and GW mithril silver that I later gave a quick flick with a dry-brusk of plain mithril silver to catch the edges on their pots.

I so had to restrain myself from adding the little red hoops on the arms of the figures. Maybe another regiment.

I'm still looking for a design to paint onto Pook's trumpeter, and there are a few spots where handling has rubbed away the paint. The washes are really quite delicate like that. I found I needed to do an intermediate coat of varnich to protect the figures as I finished up the painting!

9 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Damn fine Horse, old bean! They do indeed call to mind certain Gilder and Mason figures of the past. Good show!

Best Regards,

Von Tschatscke

Bloggerator said...

Cheers old man.

Greg

tradgardmastare said...

Red hoops on the arms would be great to see.
Splendid fellows indeed.I recommend the BBC's "By the Sword Divided" on DVD to further get you into the mood...

Bloggerator said...

Yes, just watched that a week ago.

DC said...

That was quick, and very nice too.

I varnish figures at various stages in the painting process - as you suggest it protects delicate finishes, and the smoother surface it creates makes lining in easier.

Cheers.

Bloggerator said...

I'd not thought of that Doug. I'll have to give it a try. I need a better lining in brush, too.

Having the horses already done helps.

Greg

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Delightful!

tidders said...

Lovely ECW horse ..

Bloggerator said...

Thankyou gentlemen. A unit of Cuirassiers will be next as I wait patiently by the letter box.

I've nearly finished their horses.

Next? More heavy cavalry, I think. The horses are already cleaned and primed.