Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pook Manor IV

 Not quite finished yet, but getting there. Still chimney-pots to add and some merciful outbreaks of ivy to hide my sloppy joints.
 The gable is a bit too high for the roof and might benefit from being about 3mm lower!
 Pooks Lifeguard of Horse are mustering in the gardens. Still one or two to paint up.
The thatch was made from strips of towelling stiffened up with PVA after being fixed to the roof. It was then painted with spray-paints. The bone coloured paint is - you guessed it - GW Bleached Bone and the red brick was mixed up from a cheap students' set of gouache paints I bought for $6.

I might take some more photos in natural light. the flash is rather unkind.

I want to mount the whole thing on some 5mm MDF I have and then model a little walling, a few trees and perhaps some ornamental hedging from pot-scourer.

5 comments:

johnpreece said...

I think you have nailed that, it looks Engish.

Oddly it's the mix of things that shouldn't be together (thatch, Dutch Gable Ends, Tudorwindows and chimneys that makes it look completely authentic.

John

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Agreed! It looks good.

Best Regards,

Stokes

John Ray said...

With the thatch being of such a high colour tone the buildings looks rather 'washed out'. Buildings need a little more depth of colour.

Construction vey good.

John

Fitz-Badger said...

It's shaping up very nicely! Complex roofs like that are tricky to fit right, in my experience.

Bloggerator said...

Thank-you gentlemen.

John R - It probably looks washed out because of the flash photography right now as I did it in haste and at night. The third photo is probably truest to the actual colour values.

I do have a few joins to disguise here and there.

Greg