Thursday, July 03, 2014

Painting Miniatures

Artwork by the Stig
A favourite for flicking through is the Blandford title "Warriors and Weapons of Early Times in Colour" by Neils Saxtorph, illustrated by Stig Bramsen. Mine is the first (only?) English edition, published in 1972 when I was four years' old and watching Skippy the Bush Kangaroo and maybe Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Sensibly concentrating mostly on European models the Danish Dynamic Duo have nonetheless made a stab at an Ironside and have sensibly done him in a rugger top with shoulder pads which as you will all know was wrong; this costume was worn only at Edgehill and soon discarded as impractical as the War progressed.

Smart-arsed niggles aside, and were one to choose to paint the legend, then the colour here is to my eye very attractive and worthy of emulation.

5 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

One of my favorites, this and Kannik came to military college with me in 72 and helped me through first year.

But didn't you mean that a uniform worn only at Edgehill is still accurate as an illustration even if you aren't doing Edgehill?

Bloggerator said...

Nope. Tounge was planted firmly in myne cheek.

Bloggerator said...

I should elaborate a little. The rugger top sleeves are now thought to be a misinterpretation of the laced sleeve worn by high status gentlemen of the time. The padded shoulders are just me being an arse.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Greg,

You are hardly the first and certainly not the last of us to "be an arse" about uniforms.

I'm painting units for which the flag and uniform coat are known . . . but as for the rest of their uniforms I'm just having to guess . . . so I would say that I'm being an ECW arse as well.

Paint them as you please and enjoy it, sir.


-- Jeff

johnpreece said...

I am not aware of a single contemporary illustration of any Civil War soldier. And very few of English 17C military.

Paint them any damned colours you like, sprinkle a few sequins on for good luck and if any a---le comments invite them to explain exactly why they are painted incorrectly.